I live and work in London.
I am still available for selection to represent my country in all major sports. Respect all religions, practise none, yet embrace most. I have strong pacifist leanings, but will fight for my right to vote. I believe in the ‘power of travel’ to recognise, enhance and promote the practise of fundamental ‘human rights’, as well as encourage the development of friendly relations between nations.
I believe today is the golden age of travel, with a wider platform of cultural and environmental opportunities available to international travellers, than at any other time in the past or future.
I am married and have 18 year old twins, who have travelled across five continents embarking on more hotel inspections than anyone in their right mind would want to do. I am also a Director & Founder Trustee of New Lifeline – a registered UK charity supporting vulnerable children and young people through social, health and education programmes. Nomadic Thoughts run and operate the charity’s UK office covering all administrative and management costs. I am keen photographer, qualified football & cricket coach, experienced conference moderator, event speaker and travel industry enthusiast.
I am delighted that this blog was selected for the recent ‘UK Blog Awards‘ – in addition to being previously listed in the Responsible Tourism Awards nominations.
“Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you travelled” – Prophet Mohammed (570-632 AD)
Having travelled to over 70 countries:
- My greatest claim to fame – once being closer to the sun than anyone else on planet earth
- Travel Tip – lose the watch
- CV – School, jobs, travel, jobs, travel, travel, Nomadic Thoughts … travel
- Longest overland journeys – London-Cape Town (local transport – 1 year) … Hong Kong-Beijing-London (bus, truck, train – ½ year) … Vancouver-Quebec City (thumb – ½ month)
- Longest train rides – Trans Siberian Express … Khartoum to Wau, The Sudan … Darjeeling Toy Train
- Favourite drives – Icefields Parkway, Rockies … Empty Quarter, Yemen … Great Ocean Road, Australia
- Way to go water – Amazon by canoe … Nile by dahabiya … Kerala Backwaters by rice barge
- Luxury stays – Riads … haciendas … tropical islands
- Top views – North Face of Everest … beach sun-downer … back of a child soldier’s roadblock
- Best walks – Torres Del Paine, Patagonia … Annapurna Range, Nepal … GR20 Corsican High Route
- Strange star beds – High Temple of Sacrifice, Temple IV Tikal … roof of Sub-Saharan train … guerrilla no-go zone
- Food – Portuguese sardines … Las Pampas steak … Morton Bay bugs … Masala dosa
- Anorak – I collect a present day bank note the first time I visit a country outside Europe … different script Coca-Cola bottles and football World Cups (I’ve been to the last nine)
- Travel downtime – Photography … artifact hunting … Astanga yoga … throwing/kicking/hitting a ball
- Don’t forget – 18-250 mm camera lens … bottled water … ATM pin code
“Jono – congratulations, you deserve a large audience and a career in the media” – Simon Reeve, BBC Travel Presenter.