I live and work in London.
I am still available for selection to represent my country in all major sports. Respect all religions, practise none, yet embrace most. I have strong pacifist leanings, but will fight for my right to vote. I believe in the ‘power of travel’ to recognise, enhance and promote the practise of fundamental ‘human rights’, as well as encourage the development of friendly relations between nations.
I believe today is the golden age of travel, with a wider platform of cultural and environmental opportunities available to international travellers, than at any other time in the past or future.
I am married and have 20 year old twins, who have travelled across five continents embarking on more hotel and destination inspections than anyone in their right mind would want to do. I was a Director & Founder Trustee of New Lifeline – a registered UK charity previously supporting vulnerable children and young people through social, health and education programmes. Which, after 17 years, successfully managed to transfer all our local outreach work into the local community. I am keen photographer, qualified football & cricket coach, experienced conference moderator, event speaker and travel industry enthusiast.
I am delighted that this blog was selected for the recent ‘UK Blog Awards‘ – in addition to being previously listed in the Responsible Tourism Awards nominations.
“Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you travelled” – Prophet Mohammed (570-632 AD)
Having travelled to over 70 countries:
- My greatest claim to fame – once being closer to the sun than anyone else on planet earth
- Travel Tip – lose the watch, bargain with a smile
- CV – School, jobs, travel, jobs, travel, travel, Nomadic Thoughts … travel
- Longest overland journeys – London-Cape Town (local transport – 1 year) … Hong Kong-Beijing-London (bus, truck, train – ½ year) … Vancouver-Quebec City (thumb – ½ month)
- Longest train rides – Trans Siberian Express … Khartoum to Wau, The Sudan … Darjeeling Toy Train
- Favourite drives – Icefields Parkway, Rockies … Empty Quarter, Yemen … Great Ocean Road, Australia
- Way to go water – Amazon by canoe … Nile by dahabiya … Kerala Backwaters by rice barge
- Luxury stays – Riads … haciendas … tropical islands
- Top views – North Face of Everest … beach sun-downer … back of a child soldier’s roadblock
- Best walks – Torres Del Paine, Patagonia … Annapurna Range, Nepal … GR20 Corsican High Route
- Strange star beds – High Temple of Sacrifice, Temple IV Tikal … roof of Sub-Saharan train … guerrilla no-go zone
- Food – Portuguese sardines … Las Pampas steak … Morton Bay bugs … Masala dosa
- Anorak – I collect a present day bank note the first time I visit a country outside Europe … different script Coca-Cola bottles and football World Cups (I’ve been to the last nine)
- Travel downtime – Photography … artefact hunting … Ashtanga yoga … throwing/kicking/hitting a ball
- Don’t forget – 16-310 mm camera lens … bottled water … ATM pin code
“Jono – congratulations, you deserve a large audience and a career in the media” – Simon Reeve, BBC Travel Presenter.
“Follow me, we are going to shoot you” – Army officer, Africa.
“I wish I lived on a perminant Nomadic Thoughts holiday” – returning client.
” You have a lot of diseases” – Asian medical consultant.