Cultural Diversity Day – Dialogue & Development Holidays (24.05.14)
This week (21 May) we celebrated World Day for ‘Cultural Diversity for Dialogue & Development’.
Initially brought about by a UN Resolution in 2002, this World Day provides an excellent opportunity to encourage people and organisations to embrace the diversity of the world’s cultures.
Operating in an industry so well positioned to put such words into action, I am delighted to highlight how our Nomadic Thoughts holidays do, on a regular basis, follow the World Day’s suggested ‘Ten Simple Things YOU can do’:
Taking each UN World Day suggestion in turn – see Facebook page – I have chosen photographs showing such activities from various Nomadic Thoughts holidays.
- Visit an art exhibition or a museum dedicated to other cultures/history.
2. Invite a family or people from another culture or religion to share a meal and exchange views on life.
3. See a movie or read a book from another country or religion than your own.
4. Invite people from a different culture to share your customs.
5. Read about the great thinkers of other cultures (e.g. Confucius, Socrates, Avicenna, Ibn Khaldun, Aristotle, Ganesh, Rumi).
6. Visit a place of worship different from your own and participate in the celebration.
7. Play the “stereotypes game.” … Do stereotypes necessarily hold true?
8. Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures.
9. Spread your own culture around the world.
10. Explore music of a different culture.
Answer to No. 7 ….. Christian, Africa, Bible.